The Martelli network of companies deserves to be rescued, as explained by Stefano Barucci, member of the board, Martelli Lavorazioni Tessili. Despite the fact that the Chapter 11 procedures have started for the Italian group of companies, the Martelli companies working outside of Italy are not affected.

“Martelli also owns three foreign companies that are not involved in the Chapter 11 procedure,” he explained and added that the Martelli family owns 100% of Martelli Europe, based in Romania, employing 650 people, and Martelli Tunisia, employing 300 people. They also own 80% of Martelli Morocco, that employs 750 people, and hold 10% of another finishing company in Turkey, whose main shareholder is Isko, owning the remaining 90% quota. This last company employs 250 employees and treats fabrics for the global denim manufacturer.

Barucci confirmed that the Tribunal of Bologna has guaranteed that the Italian specialist in finishes will continue to offer its service until the end of 2016 but added: “We hope we can find a solution for the company and find a partner – preferably an Italian firm - that can support us and continue work beyond the approved period. We think we can still continue to maintain and keep the group’s Italian productive basis alive,” he explained underlining how jeans brands and manufacturers continue to trust Martelli’s expertise and know-how.

Today Martelli owns three factories in Italy in Toscanella di Dozza, Vedelago and Medolla. There also used to be a productive basis in Ancarano, though that one was closed in 2014 for reduced productive volumes. Today the three Italian companies employ 190 people altogether.