A two-day denim exhibition held in the capital of Bangladesh, Dhaka on October 15-16 ended with positive expectation to attract global buyers as Bangladesh has the capacity to provide quality items at lower cost. “We’ve received very good responses from both buyers and entrepreneurs at the exposition,” Sandeep Agarwal, organizer of the ‘Denim and Jeans Expo’, told Sportswear International in Dhaka on October 17. Mr. Agarwal also said his organization –denimsandjeans.com – is planning to organize another expo in Bangladesh’s capital. “We’re planning to arrange another expo but are yet to set the schedule.”

Twenty four companies from Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Germany, China and Brazil took part in the exhibition to showcase their denim pants, fabrics and latest accessories. Indian High Commissioner to Bangladesh Pankaj Saran inaugurated the expo at the Radisson Blu Water Garden Hotel in Dhaka on October 15. He appreciated the country’s progress in meeting the highest standards of its apparel and clothing products for the global consumers.

“This is a sign of Bangladesh’s maturity of industrial processes and competence apart from expertise of workers and manufacturers,” the Indian envoy observed.

The envoy also said the readymade garment (RMG) products of Bangladesh are very attractive among the foreign buyers due to their high quality, which has also helped to secure a strong base in global market. "Denim is very important for the RMG sector and Bangladesh would move ahead in the RMG sector adding value through denim.”

Expressing satisfaction over the positive response from the participants, Atiqul Islam, president of the Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA), said Bangladesh has proven that all the factories are not bad. “Bangladesh is the ‘best brand’ in the global RMG market.”

On the other hand, the Denim Expert Limited, a Bangladesh-Netherlands joint venture at the Chittagong-based Karnaphuli Export Processing Zone (KEPZ), is now organizing another exhibition –Bangladesh Denim Expo – at the same venue in Dhaka on November 11-12. More than 50 exhibitors including 32 foreign companies from 14 countries are expected to participate in the exposition, according to the organizer.

Bangladesh is now the second-largest country which exports denim to Europe and third largest in exports to the United States. At present, there are 25 denim fabric manufacturers in Bangladesh, who meet about 40 percent of the domestic demand and the remaining 60 percent are imported. Bangladesh earns around US$ 600 million per annum from denim exports to the global market.