The premium segment of the German Ahlers group increased sales revenues by 3.4% in first half of the year 2013, against a downward market trend. Total revenues are down by 5.3% due to discontinuation of Gin Tonic Woman and weather-related slow business. At EUR 1.0 million, consolidated net income after taxes is below last years level (EUR 2.7 million) due to lower sales revenues and start-up costs for its retail segment and ecommerce platform. Baldessarini and Pierre Cardin, the company’s Premium brands, both grew in the first half of 2012/13, thus pushing up segment revenues by 3.4% to EUR 73.5 million (previous year: EUR 71.1 million). As a result, the premium segment’s contribution to total sales revenues increased from 58% in the previous year to 64% in the first half year of 2012/13.
Last year the management board decided to reorganise Gin Tonic from scratch and to put an end to its womenswear activities. The discontinuation of Gin Tonic Woman led to a 2.9% decline in sales revenues. Due to the cold weather throughout Europe, sales in the clothing retail sector dropped sharply. As a result, intra-seasonal orders received by Ahlers were lower than in the previous year, reducing sales by another 2.4%. At EUR 115.2 million, total sales revenues were down by 5.3% on the previous year’s EUR 121.6 million. Sales revenues in the company’s own retail segment increased by 5% in spite of the difficult market situation in the first half year and the closure of several Gin Tonic stores. Accordingly, the retail segment’s relative contribution to total sales climbed from 10.3% to 11.3%. The management board of Ahlers AG expects both sales revenues and earnings to pick up in the second half of 2013 despite the discontinuation of Gin Tonic Woman.
This forecast is based on good incoming orders and new retail spaces and, hence, growing retail revenues. For the full year 2012/13, the management board expects to more or less reach, or maybe slightly exceed, the previous year’s result of EUR 7.3 million. While the first half of 2012/13 was disappointing, the preconditions for a good second half-year 2013 are in place.